A culturally competent healthcare program acknowledges the importance of culture, recognizes the potential impact of cultural differences, adapts to cultural knowledge and beliefs, and designs services to meet culturally unique needs. To design and plan programs that address cultural diversity, a program planner must be aware of cultural competency, health literacy, and ethical and social justice principles.
The team youre working with to plan and eventually implement your chosen health or healthcare program (the same program you will present in your course project in Module Nine) is looking for additional details about how ethical and social justice principles will be integrated into the program. They also want to know more about how cultural competence and health literacy will be promoted. To provide them this information, you have been asked to put together a brief presentation to share with the team at your next meeting.
This activity will help you determine the importance of cultural competence and health literacy in program planning. Also, it will help you apply social justice and ethical principles to your program. You will use findings from this assignment to explain the socioeconomic factors of program planning in your course project presentation.
Create a PowerPoint presentation with embedded speaker notes to describe how you will identify and address cultural and other socioeconomic diversities for your target population. Include your speaker notes as a Word document, either downloaded from your presentation or created separately, with slide numbers accompanying each slide note.
Specifically, you must address the following rubric criteria:
- Health Literacy: Describe which elements of your program ensure health literacy among the targeted population. Consider the following questions to guide your response:
- How would lack of health literacy impact the patients and the programs activities?
- How would health literacy among the targeted population improve the programs ability to achieve its outcomes?
- Cultural Competence: Describe how you would make your program sensitive to various cultural practices and beliefs. Consider the following questions to guide your response:
- Why is cultural competency one of the essential skills for a program planner?
- How does your program address racial and economic disparities that are impacting your target populations healthcare needs?
- Social Justice Principles: Describe how you would apply social justice principles to your program planning and how their inclusion would help improve the programs ability to achieve its outcomes. Consider the following questions to guide your response:
- Why is social justice important in the planning and implementation of healthcare programs?
- Which two social justice principles does your program consider, and why does it consider them?
- Key Ethical Principles: Describe how your program satisfies key ethical principles and how including these principles would help your target population. Consider the following questions to guide your response:
- How does your program satisfy the principles of beneficence, nonmaleficence, autonomy, and justice?
- What are two potential challenges you might face in applying ethical principles to your programs plan and design?
Note that all the claims in your deliverable should be evidence based. Your citations should be from your independent search for evidence (not from the scenario, textbook, or module resources) of credible sources and be current within the last five years. You are required to cite a minimum of two sources, at least one of which should be separate from your own research. Refer to the Shapiro Library Guide: NursingGraduate located in the Start Here section of the course for additional support. If you need writing support, access the Online Writing Center through the Academic Support module of your course.
Guidelines for Submission
Your submission should include a 4- to 6-slide PowerPoint presentation with embedded speaker notes and a Word document with your speaker notes. Use a clear, professional font and appropriate PowerPoint presentation slide design. For your speaker notes, you should use 12-point Times New Roman font, double spacing, and one-inch margins. Sources should be cited according to APA style.